top of page
After I got a lathe, I made this series of wooden rockets. These are built to accomodate standard Estes model rocket engines.
The yellow rocket is the only one that I launched. I never gave a thought to what would happen when the heavy wooden rocket came down (nor did any of the other college educated people who were present). I parked nearby because I used my car battery to ignite the rocket engine.
These are the disassembled pieces of the rocket to the left. On the lower right is a brass bushing that I made to protect the wooden parts from the rocket's exhaust. After taking this photo, I remade the nosecone in order to fit the parachute.
In this design, the ejection charge causes one of the two parts of the fuselage slide lengthwise, deploying the parachute.
This technical drawing shows the interior of one of the designs along with the grandiose name and logo I used for the venture!
This is the only one that I actually launched. The nosecone was solid maple, and there was no parachute. I never gave a thought to what would happen when it came down.
bottom of page